httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html stale?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:36:07 GMT
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> All of the following seems stale... no?
>
> >Compile-Time Configuration Issues
> >
> >Atomic Operations
> >
> >The --enable-nonportable-atomics option is relevant for the following platforms:

> >Solaris on SPARC
> >By default, APR uses mutex-based atomics on Solaris/SPARC. If you configure with
--enable-nonportable-atomics, however, APR generates code that uses a SPARC v8plus opcode
for fast hardware compare-and-swap. If you configure Apache with this option, the atomic operations
will be more efficient (allowing for lower CPU utilization and higher concurrency), but the
resulting executable will run only on UltraSPARC chips.

> We axed this code due to licensing issues --- right?
>
> >DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT
> >
> >If you have no intention of using dynamically loaded modules (you probably don't
if you're reading this and tuning your server for every last ounce of performance) then you
should add -DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=0 when building your server. This will save RAM that's allocated
only for supporting dynamically loaded modules.

> Harmful if swallowed?  We default to a dso-based server now.

A significant amount of the stuff in the performance document was copied
wholesale from the 1.3 docs, and left as is because nobody understood
it. I'll make these suggested changes, but we'd also appreciate further
comments about that doc. It seems that when I read that doc, roughly
halfway down -- basically from the place that says Warning: This
section has not been fully updated, and down from there - my eyes glaze
over and I'm not sure what actual benefit it is giving to anyone.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun