httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html stale?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:21:50 GMT
All of the following seems stale... no?

>Compile-Time Configuration Issues
>
>Atomic Operations
>
>The --enable-nonportable-atomics option is relevant for the following platforms:
>Solaris on SPARC
>By default, APR uses mutex-based atomics on Solaris/SPARC. If you configure with --enable-nonportable-atomics,
however, APR generates code that uses a SPARC v8plus opcode for fast hardware compare-and-swap.
If you configure Apache with this option, the atomic operations will be more efficient (allowing
for lower CPU utilization and higher concurrency), but the resulting executable will run only
on UltraSPARC chips.

We axed this code due to licensing issues --- right?

>DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT
>
>If you have no intention of using dynamically loaded modules (you probably don't if you're
reading this and tuning your server for every last ounce of performance) then you should add
-DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=0 when building your server. This will save RAM that's allocated only
for supporting dynamically loaded modules.

Harmful if swallowed?  We default to a dso-based server now.

Bill