httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Separate distrubution of docs and code (was: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:53:54 GMT
* Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> > Thanks, Joshua!
>
> No problem.  I dropped a new version of the pdf version in there too
> http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/docs/
> I haven't really changed any of the code since the last update, but it
> looks pretty good overall.  The main problem is still some strange table
> formatting in places.  Comments on it are welcome.

I'm just learning Tex, so comments from me are reserved for the future ;-)

> We could consider trying to help more people find the alternative formats.

Yep. Perhaps on the index page?

> It seems that most windows users would be better off with the chm than
> with the format that comes with apache.  And I'm still wondering if we
> would be better off distributing the docs entirely separately from the
> code.

I'm very +1 on it (for 2.1 then). This (a) would reduce the download
size of new releases much (nobody installs the documentation on a server
farm) and (b) would let people give more liberty in deciding which format
they want.

We could give also a hint on download.cgi.

Additionally I'd also suggest to exclude the xml stuff from the normal docs
(also axing from the online server). That could be a separate package as
well. No normal user cares about these files, so why wasting bandwith with
them. That would result in a similar structure like the other projects have:
xdocs vs. docs (or however we're structuring it).

nd