httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Please fix http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:18:15 GMT
Quoting Joshua Slive (joshua@slive.ca):

> We will change our links as you request, but let me just reiterate my
> suggestion in slightly more forceful language.  Given our user to
> developer ratio, we here at Apache have quite a bit of experience
> trying to design pages to avoid problems with clueless users.  Your page
> (especially Eric's version, but even the one you suggest above) is very
> poorly designed for that purpose.  Clueless people do not read web pages;
> they skim.  So you need to make sure that the first thing they see when
> they skim is the disclaimer, and certainly *not* your email address.  Your
> email address should go at the bottom.

You know, I have a systematic fix, and have just implemented it:
I've created an autoresponder (mail infobot), and am listing that as my
mailto address in the essay.  (Well, the version on _my_ site, anyway.
I'll need to ask Eric to make the change on the copy at catb.org.)

It took me a few days to get around to that, because I've been out of
town on business, and then wanted to make _very_ sure I didn't create
mail loops, system security holes, or other problems.  Sorry about the
delayed response.

> Anyway, thanks for the great resource.

Yr. very welcome!

--
Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."