httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Re: German Translation Relevant Standards
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:10:52 GMT

> Beschreibung auf, an die sich der Apache HTTP-Server h&auml;lt.</p>

I would reorder the sentence like this:
"<p>Diese Seite f&uuml;hrt alle wichtigen Standards,an die sich der
Apache HTTP-Server h&auml;lt. mit einer kurzen Beschreibung auf, </p>"

(It's the standard that Apache follows,
rather than the short description.)

> zur Verf&uuml;gung:</p>

Much more actively: "Neben ... sollten
folgende Quellen herangezogen werden."

> HTTP/1.1-Spezifikation Errata

If you really want to translate that (which I
would not do, as this document is in English)
then you might turn around the order of words
and write: "Errata zur HTTP/1.1-Spezifikation".

### ORIGINAL ###
What does this <note> refer to?
a) the three-items list above?
b) the last item of this list?
c) the complete document we are just reviewing?

>  werden, entspricht der Apache als Webserver folgenden

"entspricht" => "hält sich an".

      (Informationell)</dt>

> Hypermedia-Iinformationssysteme,

Typo: "Ii" => "I".

>  was HTTP/1.0 belegt.</dd>

Nope, but: "Dieses Dokument beschreibt HTTP/1.0".
(Because there are other versions of HTTP as well,
as you see below.)

> Hypermedia-Iinformationssysteme,

Typo: "Ii" => "I".

> was HTTP/1.1 belegt.</dd>

Nope, but: "Dieses Dokument beschreibt HTTP/1.1".

> eine kompakte Zeichenfolge mit Zeichen

### ORIGINAL ###
In a way "string of characters" is already redundant
(ein "weißer Schimmel"), and you might want to not
repeat this in German.
"Zeichenkette" alone is fine in this case IMHO.

"entspricht" => "hält sich an".

> zusammen und definiert den MIME-Typ "text/html", in dem auf

"in dem" => "indem".
(Or literally: "Durch einen Verweis auf ...").

> definiert HTML 4.01, eine Version von HTML 4.</dd>

Literally: "Eine Unterversion von HTML 4".
("HTML 4" itself is a "version".)

>  <dt><a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32">HTML 3.2-Referenz
> -Spezifikation</a></dt>

I don't know where this linke wrapping comes from,
but "reference" and "specification" are linked
more closely then "3.2" and "reference" IMHO.

>  <dd>Diese Spezifikation definiert die zweite Ausgabe von XHTML 1.0,
> eine Neufassung von HTML 4 als XML 1.0-Applikation sowie drei
> DTDs, die den von HTML 4 definierten entsprechen.</dd>

I would insert a comma before "sowie" because only
the part before that is an explanation of "XHTML 1.0".

### ORIGINAL ###
(Personally I would even prefer using round brackets
here.)

> (Standardkonzept)</dt>

I would write "Entwurf eines Standard".
("draft" is something that would still have to be
"accepted" by anyone to become a real standard.
So I would guess that "draft standard" is not a
standard of a draft but a draft for a standard.)

> (Beste aktuelle Praxis),

I begin to doubt whether these "RFC categories" can
reasonably translated at all.
At least I would not try to invent translations
here (as all of these are technical terms) but
rather search the web for some Germany RFC
translation project and use whatever translations
they have agreed on.

> (Standards)</dt>

And where has the "track" part gone?

"standards track" is a technical term (explained by
RFC 2026, chapter 10.3.2). Please read this chapter
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt) if you attempt to
find a proper German translation.

Despite being so short, this document might be one
of the most difficult to translate...

Regards, Michael