httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Doco - useful for Apache documentation project?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:38:34 GMT
* James Dodd <jd@accucard.com> wrote:

> > * I18N and charset issues are (basically) not a problem. I'm certain,
> > doco has e.g. problems recoding iso-2022-jp to shift_jis (needed for CHM
> > generation)
>
> No, it can't do that.
>
> > * I'm not sure, if it can generate pages like quickreference or
> > mod/index
>
> I'm not sure what these things are..  Could you describe them to me?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/quickreference.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/index.html
(and some other)

The files are generated from the actual module files (we're going through
the tree and fetch desired information from the source xml files).

> > * It uses presentional markup, which is bad. We have quite clean
> > generated HTML documents, where the presention is made only via css.
>
> I don't believe it does use presentation markup.  The HTML generated is
> clean as a whistle, save for

hmm, I saw things like <s> on the doco page (sure one doesn't need to use
it, but you loose a feature).

> > * XSLT is standardized. People don't need to learn yet another
> > formatting language and there's a lot of work already done out there.
>
> That's definitely true, but at my company we tried a few other similar
> things and didn't find them to be powerful enough.

We do work here quite well with an xslt/python/xalan combo for our live
servers :-) But agreed it's a lot of effort in the first place.

nd