httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Doco - useful for Apache documentation project?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:06:06 GMT
* James Dodd <jd@accucard.com> wrote:

> Just wondering whether 'Doco' may be of any use to the Apache
> documentation project.
> It's a lightweight markup syntax for converting text to HTML docs,
> and has lots of useful & powerful features.
>
> Documentation is at
>
>         http://doco.sourceforge.net/
>
> And it can be downloaded from
>
>         http://sourceforge.net/projects/doco

I've taken a look at it and I think it's not really sufficient. We use XML
for several reasons:

* I18N and charset issues are (basically) not a problem. I'm certain, doco
has e.g. problems recoding iso-2022-jp to shift_jis (needed for CHM
generation)

* I'm not sure, if it can generate pages like quickreference or mod/index

* It uses presentional markup, which is bad. We have quite clean generated
HTML documents, where the presention is made only via css.

* XSLT is standardized. People don't need to learn yet another
formatting language and there's a lot of work already done out there.

* besides some other reasons: we've already switched to XML. It would be a
lot of effort to switch again to something else.

all IMHO, of course.

nd