httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject Website translation project?
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:34:41 GMT
I've been thinking about the new translation project of
httpd.apache.org website.  Since this is not in the scope of
original docs project, I'd like to ask this list whether it
is the way to go before I invest serious amount of time.

The rationale of this is that website is easier to translate
(less technical and smaller in size compared to manual) is
more visible so it might attract more people to translation
efforts.  The drawback is it might make our scarce resource
even more sparse.  Also, it's a good thing to have
translations of our official site.  I think it's worth a
try.  What do you think?

One concern raised somewhere else (I think it was
community@) about having transalated web site is that
translation might become out of date.  I think it can be
solved by enhancing Anakia or use some other small programs
to check whether document is up to date by comparing CVS
revision of original document and 'English revision' comment
in translation at transformation stage.  If we decide to go
forward with website translation, I'll look into Anakia or
Ant to see how we can solve it.  Anakia has it's own quirks
of handling multilingual text so it has to be solved, too.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi