httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Example blocks .xml (e.g. mod_dav.xml.en)
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:42:58 GMT
* "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>   I was experimenting, since Rich Bowen made an interesting point at the
> con that our mozilla friends' browser prefers xml over html, what would
> happen if I retrieved /docs-2.0/mod/mod_dav.xml.  I was pleasantly
> surprised but noticed that the example config block wasn't parsed
> correctly.

We don't support the xml urls. For reasons, see below.

>   It seems our example config blocks aren't correctly formatted (they wrap
> ignoring newlines in pre blocks, apparently.)  Is there an elegant fixup
> to allow this to display correctly in both html and xml flavors?  It would
> be very trivial to add the xml variants to the typemap file, as well.

It's a mozilla problem. Mozilla is unsusable as an xml/xslt browser (Try,
for example, reading a german file, mozilla will bail because of entities it
doesn't *want* to read). However, in IE it works like a charm, but I don't
care, because I don't use that software ;-)

Additionally examples are *not* <pre>-formatted(due to the potential
problems of <pre>, there's also an archive discussion somewhere, about a
year old or so), but formatted with simple <br />s (Still not all, but this
the aim is on my TODO).

I'm tired of trying to support that broken mozilla-xml stuff, sorry. There's
no reasonable way to convince mozilla to render correctly other than html.

nd