httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Keßler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re[2]: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-win.conf
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:27:29 GMT
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:

>> * rbowen@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> >   Unless anyone strenuously objects, I'm adding back the comments
>> >   regarding ScriptInterpreterSource. We're getting an increasing number of
>> >   questions about this.
>>
>> I'm -0 on it, because using ScriptInterpretersource registry without further
>> explanation of the flaws is dangerous. Using ScriptInterpreterSource
>> registry-strict without knowing what it does is silly.
>> However, let us document it better and just refer to the docs, if at all.
>> Second objection is: The httpd.conf may not become a doc replacement. It
>> disturbes me a bit, that (a) people get such a big default config which gives
>> wrong impressions about how to use the apache. ("complex", <IfModule over all
>> and everywhere etc.).

> I agree on all nd's points.

> Including a URL to the ScriptInterpreterSource docs would certainly be
> appropriate, as would be adding a section to this doc discussing the cgi
> issue:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html

> Most of what you just put in the comments could go verbatim into a new
> section of windows.html.  (But, of course, we shouldn't be recommending
> "registry" for most users.)

There is nothing more to say. I fully agree to all comments from nd and
Joshua. I would be glad to have only short comments within the default
httpd.conf with hints to the documentation. And I also won't suggest
ScriptInterpreterSource registry by default. Users should really have
read the documentation at this point before they use this setting.

Kess