httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Gustavo Delfino <gdelfino...@gdsolutions.com.ve>
Subject INSTALL
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:36:30 GMT
Hello all, I am new to this list.  I am writing because I want to help make
apache documentation better.  I think this is important as I have spent
many many hours trying to make and install my apache under FreeBSD
correctly (and I'm still trying).

My first comment is in regards to the INSTALL file.  It contains the
following text:

> There are currently two layouts pre-defined in the file
> config.layout: `Apache' for the classical Apache path layout and
> `GNU' for a path layout conforming to the GNU `standards' document.

This is false and leads to confusion.  If you open the config.layout file
you will find the following layouts:

<Layout Apache>
<Layout GNU>
<Layout BinaryDistribution>
<Layout Mac OS X Server>
<Layout Darwin>
<Layout RedHat>
<Layout opt>
<Layout beos>
<Layout SuSE>
<Layout BSDI>
<Layout Solaris>
<Layout FreeBSD>
<Layout OpenBSD>
<Layout Cygwin>

Therefore I would change that text to:

There are many layouts pre-defined in the file
config.layout: `Apache' for the classical Apache path layout,
`GNU' for a path layout conforming to the GNU `standards' document, and
there are other you can see by using the command:

grep "^<Layout" config.layout

or we could actually show the names of the layout available:

There are many layouts pre-defined in the file config.layout:
`Apache' for the classical Apache path layout.
`GNU' for a path layout conforming to the GNU `standards' document.
`BinaryDistribution'
`Mac OS X Server'
`Darwin'
`RedHat'
`opt'
`beos'
`SuSE'
`BSDI'
`Solaris'
`FreeBSD'
`OpenBSD'
`Cygwin'

Please let me know what you think.  I have noe idea of how to make these
changes make it into the acual INSTALL file.

Regards,

Gustavo Delfino