httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Character References for Japanese translations
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:04:01 GMT
* Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> Other language resource files are using "Character Mnemonic Entities",

Just to clarify, what we're talking about:

&#number; or &#xhexnumber; are "character references", i.e. they refer to a
particular code point of the Unicode charset.
&somename; are generic entities, some of them are predefined as character
references. We use the W3C character entity definitions for easier work and
some own for better readability.

> it seems. I think that japanese translations should follow
> that principle.

That's basically the translator's decision. Though I'd suggest not to use
them, because they blow up the xml source 2 - 4 times (or more). Note that
it's only a *source* issue. Character references are resolved during the
source parsing stage and are inserted as raw iso-2022-jp into the transformed
result. I'm wondering a bit why you want to make such an effort. I can
imagine (but I don't know) that's even more simple and efficient to type in
the characters (or symbols, however) directly.

> Fortunately, PHP.exe will convert japanese characters into
> "Character Mnemonic Entities" easily equivalent to them, it seems.

Doh. Same question as Kess. PHP.exe? What do you want to do?

nd