httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: retire cvs modules (moved from PMC)
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:30:56 GMT

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> http://cvs.apache.org/ shows that we have a *lot* of repositories that are hard for
> newcomers to sort through (and consume quite a bit of space) - if we httpd'ers can
> help mop up - I'm sure our efforts are appreciated.

For that reason, and just to make clear to people what are the current, in
development, repositories, I'm +1 on moving all those (except httpd-pop)
under a graveyard, but retaining public accessibility.  That is really
just a communication issue.  I don't believe this would cause significant
pain to anybody, since I can't imagine anybody is using those repositories
on a regular basis.

As far as tarring them up and sticking them on archive.apache.org, I don't
believe there is any need.  The one advantage is that all the crazy people
who slurp up every repository on cvs.apache.org (by rsync or cvs) wouldn't
get at them.  But retaining our history in a more "active" form is, I
believe, worth that price.

(Ideally, I suppose, the CVS graveyard itself would fall under
archive.apache.org.  But I think we want to retain all cvs access under
the cvs.apache.org name for simplicity.  We can just provide a reference
on the archive.apache.org homepage pointing people to the graveyard.)

Joshua.