httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_deflate recommended configuration
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:35:38 GMT

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Aurelien DEHAY wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I took the recommended configuration of
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html but we encountered
> an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286 .
>
> As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
> in the mod_gzip configuration.

> Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
> could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
> suggest a modification?

You're doing it now.

But from looking at the ms knowledge base article, it seems like this will
only occur in very rare circumstances involving frames and cache-control
headers.  It would be a shame to never compress js/css to work around a
rare problem.  Is this a more common problem than MS suggests?

Joshua.