httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Character References for Japanese translations
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:24:18 GMT
On 06/09/2003, at 12:04, André Malo wrote:

> * Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>
>> Other language resource files are using "Character Mnemonic Entities",
>
> Just to clarify, what we're talking about:
>
> &#number; or &#xhexnumber; are "character references", i.e. they refer
> to a
> particular code point of the Unicode charset.
> &somename; are generic entities, some of them are predefined as
> character
> references. We use the W3C character entity definitions for easier
> work and
> some own for better readability.

Yep, and the present error doc typemaps for example, are using them
only to replace single characters (e.g. the german umlauts). I don't
think it makes any sense to write a translated doc/typemap exclusively
with them (readability, size, old and broken clients?).

>> it seems. I think that japanese translations should follow
>> that principle.
>
> That's basically the translator's decision. Though I'd suggest not to
> use
> them, because they blow up the xml source 2 - 4 times (or more). Note
> that
> it's only a *source* issue. Character references are resolved during
> the
> source parsing stage and are inserted as raw iso-2022-jp into the
> transformed
> result. I'm wondering a bit why you want to make such an effort. I can
> imagine (but I don't know) that's even more simple and efficient to
> type in
> the characters (or symbols, however) directly.

I'm clearly with nd here; I can't see any reason why someone would want
to only use character entities in a XML source which is transformed
anyway and I would strongly suggest to *not* use them exclusively in
the error doc typemaps because of the increased size (they are not
transformed).

>> Fortunately, PHP.exe will convert japanese characters into
>> "Character Mnemonic Entities" easily equivalent to them, it seems.
>
> Doh. Same question as Kess. PHP.exe? What do you want to do?

I think Tetsuya wants to express that one can use a php script to
transform text written in iso-2022-jp encoded form into character
entities and vice versa, right Tetsuya?

...just my 0.02 €uro

Cheers,
Erik