httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Aurelien DEHAY <>
Subject Re: mod_deflate recommended configuration
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:01:44 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Aurelien DEHAY wrote:
>>I took the recommended configuration of
>> but we encountered
>>an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
>> .
>>As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
>>in the mod_gzip configuration.
>>Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
>>could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
>>suggest a modification?
> You're doing it now.
> But from looking at the ms knowledge base article, it seems like this will
> only occur in very rare circumstances involving frames and cache-control
> headers.  It would be a shame to never compress js/css to work around a
> rare problem.  Is this a more common problem than MS suggests?

Well. Rather difficult to say, but we have a client who can't see a page
(with ou without frame) on our site when we have js compression. We made
tests, and the problem seems to occur every 50 to ... times. Not very often.

MS says that the bug is only present on MSIE 6 whereas we have tested it
against a IE 5.5.

It's a bug on a MSIE version, and it seems that MS has not release a
patch to correct it. As MSIE6 and 5.5 represent nearly a very large part
of the browser (on our stats: 83%), the problem is real.

Aurélien DEHAY

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message