httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Aurelien DEHAY <aurelien.de...@ext.anpe.fr>
Subject mod_deflate recommended configuration
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:56:46 GMT
Hello.

I took the recommended configuration of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html but we encountered
an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286 .

As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
in the mod_gzip configuration.

Here our actual mod_deflate configuration:

   <Location />
# #   Insert filter
     SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# #   Netscape 4.x has some problems...
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# #   Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# #   MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
     BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# #   Don't compress images
     SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
       \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# #   Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
     Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
   </Location>

Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
suggest a modification?

Rgds.
--
Aurélien DEHAY