httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: <Location> vs. <Directory>
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:37:43 GMT

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> WARNING: Use these directives only for objects that do not reside in the
> filesystem (such as a webpage generated from a database).  When applying
> directives to objects that reside in the filesystem, use <Directory> or
> <Files> instead.  See the "What to use when" section of
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html for more details.

The Location docs in 2.0 say almost exactly that:

"<Location> sections operate completely outside the filesystem. This has
several consequences. Most importantly, <Location>  directives should not
be used to control access to filesystem locations. Since several different
URLs may map to the same filesystem location, such access controls may by
circumvented.

When to use <Location>

Use <Location> to apply directives to content that lives outside the
filesystem. For content that lives in the filesystem, use <Directory> and
<Files>. An exception is <Location />, which is an easy way to apply a
configuration to the entire server."

Adding a link from there to sections.html might be a good idea, however.

Also, I'm not happy anymore with how I organized sections.html.  Having
the discussion of <IfModule> and <IfDefine> right at the top puts way to
much emphasis on these silly sections.  Improvements welcome.

Joshua.