httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Documentation incomplete: Satisfy directive
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:27:35 GMT

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> On August 12, 2003 03:10 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> > > I have found that the documentation of the Satisfy directive is not
> > > complete.  There ought to be a "Deny from all" line in the example.
> > > For newbies.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you be more specific?  Why would you
> > want to use Deny from all with satisfy?

> access is granted from hosts not in aaa.bbb.ccc
> With the additional line:
>
> 	Require valid-user
> 	Allow from aaa.bbb.ccc
> 	Deny from all
> 	Satify any
>
> the access control is restricted to login auth or the subnet specified,
> which is the expected result in the first case.

Hmmm... But that's not necessarily true, depending on the Order directive.
In addition, I can't understand what such a configuration would be useful
for.  If you want to deny access to unauthenticated users, you would just
set "Satisfy all" -- which is the default.

I agree that the Satisfy directive could be confusing for a novice, but I
still don't understand the exact problem you are trying to address.

> > [This message would be more appropriate on the docs@httpd.apache.org
> > list; but since some documenters hang out here, it is probably ok.]
>
> It is not terribly easy to find *that* piece of information coming to the
> Apache site.  Perhaps a Contacts page would be in order ... Hmm?

This page:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
which is linked from pretty much everywhere, tells you how to participate.
But we all miss links sometimes.  That's not a problem.

Joshua.