httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ja translation new comer
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:36:46 GMT

Hello, Hayashi-san, ALL

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:07:52 -0600
Yoshiki Hayashi <yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:

> On the encoding of the translation, starting from <example>,
> US-ASCII characters are changed to JIS X 0201 Roman
> characters.  Because of that, the document probably isn't a
> valid XML document.  If your text editor does funny things
> with those characters, I suggest you to run nkf -j.

I think transformation of '" -> &quot;' has been needed.
I've done for now.

--

Most of your comments made sense to me. Thanks a lot.

Only:

> >   <li>本ソフトウェアが組み込まれた製品の推薦あるいは宣伝用に、
> > "Apache" 及び "Apache Software Foundation"の名称を、事前の文面での許可
> > の無いまま使用してはなりません。apache@apache.orgにご連絡の上、
> > 文面での許可を得るようにして下さい。</li>
>
> I don't think 「組み込まれた」 is a good translation of
> derived.  「派生した」 is more common, I think.
>
> The latter sentence can give the feeling that written
> permission is always granted.  I'd translate it as
> 「文面での許可を得るためには apache@apache.org に連絡してく
> ださい。」

Mmmm. Probably, this is just related to my Japanese sense of beauty,
I prefer
[apache@apache.orgにご連絡の上、文面での許可を得るようにして下さい。],
often used in real business world (and contracts) and rather fluent
Japanese phrase.

> I don't think 「投稿」 is the correct translation for
> "contributor".  We normally use 「貢献」.  I believe
> translation here would be improved for more readability but
> there are lots of legal words so it might be better to ask
> lawyers how to translate them.

「投稿」or「貢献/寄与」are very difficult to distinguish when we
translate "CONTRIBUTION". The former makes us feel "easiness to
contribute" and the latter rather "barriers for contribution".
("Apatchy spirits" taken into consideration, "投稿" might be
more applicable in Apache Land :-)

Anyway, in this "ASL" sentence, 「貢献/寄与」is preferable rather
than 「投稿」, I agree. (In other documents, contribute/contribution
should be [投稿] rather than [貢献/寄与] in most of the cases)

Also, these sentences are "the most sensitive" part in this
license agreement (In other words, if we translate these lines
precisely, the other ones could be omitted :-P), so the "easy to read"
could be of secondary importance :-)

> Portion is not porting.  Portion means a part of something
> so translation would be

Right, deeeefinitely. I am slow on the uptake on every midnights as well
as every mornings. ;-)

--

I've put "take 2" in this mail, attached, using more legal mode (L-Mode?)
of expression :)

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/