httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: ja translation new comer
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:45:07 GMT

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> >I think the "license" file could be one of the controversial
> >issues, regarding the "accuracy" of the translation. If you
> >need "assurance" of the quality of the translation, I am
> >willing to put the confirmation of laywers in japan (my friends),
> >sooner or later.
>
> This has come up - from the perspective that the license may not
> be enforceable in some jurisdictions without the native translation.
> At some point translations might become necessary.

Eh - you want to be preceice here; generally when you have two entities
who are both in X then you want to make sure that their agrement is
constructed according to X law and habits. If the entities are in X and Y
then generally the law and language of the license granter is used (or the
Seller, etc - there is a whole international law framework specially for
this). So, say, a German developer using the GPL for his code , may well
need a german version. We may have this issue when we accept code from a
third party in Germany.

However... the apache end user license is 'special' in that it is an
agreement with the Apache Software Foundation, a Delaware, US Inc to some
other entity. So for _us_ (not for the general open source case) we are
fine with a License written in the US langauge and within the US framework
- and though it is nice to have translations to _explain_ the license; the
authoritative document of the Apache Software Foundation is, and will be,
in US English only.

Dw