httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: xml/xhtml validation issues
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:47:46 GMT
* Erik Abele wrote:

> On 29/07/2003, at 05:51, Ilia Soldis wrote:
>
>> It's a pity that we can not use <nobr> tag in documents. It is used to
>> make
>> code string r->handler unbreakable. It looks ugly: r
>> ->handler
>> or r->
>> handler.
>> But ok I'll remove it.
>
> AFAIK <nobr> wasn't even in the W3C HTML4 spec and is definitely not in
> the XHTML specs. It's purely propietary... but as a solution we could
> use something like 'whitespace: nowrap;' in the CSS and a <span
> class="foo"> tag to apply the style inline.
>
> I'd be happy to provide a patch, if it turns out to be such important
> but for now I don't see a strong need for it.

This happens afaik only in IE and 'white-space: nowrap' doesn't help (simply
because it's not a whitespace :-). So it's not worth the effort.
I'm fine with removing <nobr>, *shrug* it's HTML. It's not expected to be
displayed exactly everwhere. Just imagine a text browser that breaks at 80
chars per line...

Side note: Ilia, please do not add extra information into the translation at
all (except <transnote>s, of course). The way to add things is always English
original -> translation/transformation/whatever (or should be, however).

nd