httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Beginnings of a standards document
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:56:08 GMT

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Jason Lingohr wrote:
> Ok, how about this:
>
> http://icarus.apache.org/~jsl/httpd-2.0/manual/relevant_standards.html.en
>
> I think Status should be near or at the top.
>
> If this is ok, I'll go ahead.
>
> I'm currently putting this in misc/, but won't commit until it has some
> actual body.
>
> Who should I talk to in dev about what RFC/STD's Apache actually adheres
> to?

This looks good to me, and misc/ seems like the right location (although
it has been used somewhat as a dumping ground in the past).

A couple small comments:

1. I'd keep the descriptions as short as possible, since there is no need
to recreate what the abstract of the RFC will say.

2. Just as a style issue, I don't have a strong adherence to "adheres to".
Brings up an image of a fly trapped on fly-paper ;-).  I'd replace it with
simply "follows" or something like that.

Regarding which standards to document, there is no particular person who
knows the answer to this (although Roy Fielding would surely come
closest).  You can start with the stuff here:
http://httpd.apache.org/library/
and perhaps post a message to dev@httpd asking for more suggestions.

Joshua.