httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: removed <br> in core.xml
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:27:49 GMT

Let me put it this way: My point is that <default> should contain the
default, AND NOTHING ELSE.  Putting any extra formatting, multiple
choices, references, or "see elsewhere" in the field seems like a "type
mismatch" (for want of a better phrase).

I think of the xml structure of the module docs much like a database.  The
xsl transformations should extract data from that database and make it
presentable.  It seems to me that by placing <br> or "see elsewhere", we
are mixing up the content and the presentation.

One solution is to have a <seeusage/> tag that could be transformed into
"see usage" or whatever.  I'm not sure how much better that would be.

One thing to think about: If this is done correctly, then the translations
could source the syntax/context/status/module entries directly out of the
english version.  Only description/compatibility/usage would need to be
translated.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:
> Wouldn't 2.2 be a good place to switch?

I think error_log/access_log are so much a part of apache that it would be
more painful to switch than any gain in consistency.  Think of all the
hand-written scripts that operate on those names.

Anyway, this is a lot of discussion for a relatively minor issue ;-)  If
you really think I'm wrong, feel free to change it back.

Joshua.