httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Re: upgrading
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:54:33 GMT

>> Here's a patch to install.xml to deal with upgrading.  Feedback welcome.
> Can we really be sure that all upgrades will be that smooth? I know that
> people try their best to make it so, but there could still be bigger
> changes even in 2.0.x and definetely in 2.1.x.

The upgrade procedure I am using tries to take care of any such
issues. For mission critical production machines, one of the things
you want to have (and maybe just to please your boss ;-) is an easy
way to undo an upgrade in case it turns out to cause any problems.
I am doing this by not overwriting the previous installation at all.

I can have any number of Apache installations on a machine. They
just need to be installed into coexisting directories (whose names
contain the version number in my case, set by "--prefix").
So I will install a new Apache version next to the previous one,
instead of overwriting it. On the same level of directory hierarchy,
I have a symbolic link named "productive" that points to the version
I am running productively; this one will be used in jobs that start
and stop the Apache server (these jobs don't have to be updated).

One important part of my concept is that an Apache configuration
dies not belong to an Apache installation. I don't use the "conf"
directory of the Apache tree for this purpose - I have the confi-
guration in some separate directory. My httpd.conf contains just
two lines:
1. a directive to set the Port for listening
2. an "include" directive for the rest of the configuration.

By this, I can easily run two different Apaches with the same
configuration at the same time (on different ports), and don't
have any configuration duplicated.
I can run the new version on my productive machine while the old
version is still serving content to visitors. I can check whether
everything works on the real machine. I could even let our custo-
mers do the same tests by telling them the port I use for testing
if the service is mission critical for them as well.

And when I am satisfied with the change, I edit the "Port" direc-
tive in both httpd.conf files, restart both Apaches, and now have
the new version run productively (on Port 80).
Finally, I adapt the symbolic link "current", and that's it.
But I could still have this upgrade undone in one minute in case
anything turns out nasty. Having this in mind, upgrading to each
and every new version is a lot less stressful ...

Regards, Michael