httpd-docs mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject mod_status performance blurb
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:40:25 GMT

[ Please CC replies to me - thanks. ]

Hi guys, I was looking at this:

---- 1.3 ----
Compile-Time Configuration Issues
mod_status and ExtendedStatus On

If you include mod_status and you also set ExtendedStatus On when
building and running Apache, then on every request Apache will perform
two calls to gettimeofday(2) (or times(2) depending on your operating
system), and (pre-1.3) several extra calls to time(2). This is all
done so that the status report contains timing indications. For
highest performance, set ExtendedStatus off (which is the default).

mod_status should probably be configured to allow access by only a few
users, rather than to the general public, so this will likely have
very low impact on your overall performance.
----     ----

---- 2.0 ----
mod_status and ExtendedStatus On

If you include mod_status and you also set ExtendedStatus On when
building and running Apache, then on every request Apache will perform
two calls to gettimeofday(2) (or times(2) depending on your operating
system), and (pre-1.3) several extra calls to time(2). This is all
done so that the status report contains timing indications. For
highest performance, set ExtendedStatus off (which is the default).

Reading the 1.3 docs, especially the second paragraph, gives me the
impression that the extra syscall is for every request *to the status
handler*, not really for *every* request.

Which is it?  It wouldn't hurt to be a tad clearer on that point, I
think.

Thankyou,
--
David N. Welton