httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: <indent> is cheating
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 22:25:36 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Just spent a few seconds trying to fix the rendering of <indent> in latex,
> and I discovered that we are considering <indent> an inline (rather
> than block level) element.  (For example, it is rendered as a <span>
> rather than a <div> in html.)
>
> I think this is cheating, since something that changes the margin must be
> a block level element, in my opinion.

;-) yes.
from the CSS:
span.indent {
    padding-left: 1.5em;
    display: block;
}

> I'm guessing this was done because
> there is a <br/> on the end of most of the <indent>s, and, if it was a
> block level element, this would result in an extra space at the end.

The decision was mostly made because of the HTML syntax. <div> inside <code>
or <p> or something is not allowed. Additionally the semantics are simple.
We're just moving inline elements around - and cheat a bit with the style
definition.

> Well, this is exactly what is happening in LaTeX.
> I don't know of any way to change the margin at the line level in LaTeX.
> There is a few things I can try, but I'm not very confident about it.  I
> could make the transform eat the <br/> on the end, but that will be very
> nasty.
>
> Anyway, I just thought I'd mention the issue in case anyone has a
> suggestion.

We can transform it to whatever we want, the <example> transformation is
already a bit messy, so I see no problem to do some specialized things (like
creating extra blocks or something). But my latex knowledge is fairly
limited so I don't know about the choices we have...
Perhaps the above CSS gives you an idea?

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }