httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: latex status
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:26:05 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Well, anyway, perhaps I was a little too pessimistic in my last messages.
> A couple more hours work has gotten me to something I consider relatively
> near being presentable (at least as a first draft).
>
> Here is a quick look:
> http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual.pdf
> Note that this is around 2.5 MB and 738 pages, so think twice before you
> click.

That is a very cool start! Looks already better than my previous trials with
fop ;-)

Some random notes:

> - Fix tables
>
>   Perhaps we need to add some xml hints about the size of different
>   columns in the source files.  For example:

In my fop trials I had extra files that contained table layout hints. But
this is probably easier.

> - Images
>
>   A quick search makes me believe that pdftex will not handle gifs.
>   It probably will handle png.

Here are plans to recreate our graphics in SVG format and using batik's
rasterizer (http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgrasterizer.html) to create
whatever we want (png, jpeg, tiff, pdf?).

> - Fix quotes
>
>   In LaTeX, quotes should be like ``This''.  This may
>   not be feasible for us, in which case we could simply replace
>   " with \texttt{"} or something, so that the quotes are all straight.

We *may* consider to use unicode characters like &#8222; and &#8220; in our
xml sources and transform them properly to " and " for HTML (backwards
compat with older browsers) and `` and '' for latex and the man pages.

This would be a lot of work - once we have the time ... ;-)

> - Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.

some bytes can be saved, at least for latin1 documents if we'd use the PDF
base 14 fonts (times, courier, helvetica, and the symbols things).

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }