httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Configuration of /manual in httpd-2.1 httpd-std.conf
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:10:33 GMT
[just a short break, I'm currently totally busy]

* Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> While I was cut and pasting type-map stuff from new
> configuration, I noticed that all configurations for
> /usr/local/apache2/manual is enclosed with <IfModule
> mod_alias.c>.  It looks like this (irrelevant part is
> omitted):
[...]
> I think this is not very desirable as you'll be unable to
> browse HTTPD manual if your server disabled mod_alias.  If I
> understand it correctly, mod_alias is only necessary for
> lanuange links to work.  So I'd like to suggest moving out
> type-map configuration out of IfModule.
>
> BTW, what is the policy of IfModule usage?  It looks a bit
> inconsistent.  There's IfModule mod_setenvif.c later in the
> configuration but above SetEnvIf is not enclosed with
> IfModule directive.

The modules needed for reading the docs were already toned down (dropped
mod_include dependency). The current set contains:
mod_setenvif, mod_alias, mod_negotiation and mod_mime, which are all base
modules and on nearly all servers installed.

However, the policy when to use the containers is not existing and I'd agree
to drop all the <IfModule>s in the config (except MPM containers), since
they hide the error messages (heck, *I* missed it sometimes and was confused
that it didn't work).
But I believe, we need to discuss this on the dev list, I'm not sure what
the general opinion there is.

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  André Malo  #  http://pub.perlig.de  #