httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Beginnings of a standards document
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:34:37 GMT

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Jason Lingohr wrote:

> I've begun taking on the task of documenting all the drafts/standards that
> Apache adheres to, as per the STATUS file and PR 16938.
>
> Before I march on too much more, I'd like some feedback on roughly how it's
> looking and whatnot.  Content isn't complete, nor is accuracy at this
> point.
>
> http://icarus.apache.org/~jsl/httpd-2.0/manual/relevant_standards.html.en
>
> Opinions welcome, and could someone explain to me the syntax of
> <columnspec><column width=""/> (units used, etc) tag, as I'm not
> seeing those widths get translated into HTML tags.

<columnspec> is presently only used in the LaTeX transform.  The width
units are a fraction of the total line-width.

For your doc, I'd tend to try to avoid tables.  In general, we use tables
as little as possible in the docs, and we use them only for truly tabular
data.  In this doc, I'd probably lean towards using a <dl> or something of
the sort instead of a table.

The other question is does this belong in the manual, or should it be
maintained on the website alone, as it has been in the past:
http://httpd.apache.org/library/

I don't have a strong opinion about that.  In either case, an update is
much needed.

Joshua.