httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: FW: New Apache Mirror Site in Namibia
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:06:28 GMT

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Erik Abele wrote:
> > I'm not sure if you have the permissions for that.  If you would like to
> > help out with mirror stuff, you would be VERY welcome.  Just let me know
> > and we'll get you added to the apmirror account.
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure if I can handle the amount of work at the moment and
> I don't want to be obstructive :) The question is how high is the volume
> of mirrors@ and what is the average rate of requests coming in?
>
> Although I'm quite aware of apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html,
> apache.org/dev/mirrors.html, apache.org/mirrors/ and the involved
> scripts (Henk's mirmon and download.cgi), I just can't estimate how much
> daily work has to be done.
>
> Perhaps we can figure out some of the details privately to prevent the
> pollution of docs.

> BTW, I'm definitely not averse to helping out but I won't be of any
> great help when it comes to Python :-)

Sorry I never replied to this.  You are very welcome to help out,
regardless of your python knowledge.  Pretty much all I know about python
I learned by playing with those scripts myself.

The amount of daily work is very low.  I'd say I put in an hour a week or
so.  The minimum requirement is probably just to subscribe to
mirrors@apache.org and check the mirrors webpage every now and then to
make sure things look ok.  (It might be good to also subscribe to
infrastructure@apache.org, but I wouldn't call that a requirement.)

If you are still interested, let me know and I'll have you added to the
relevant groups.

Thanks.

Joshua.