httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Configuration of /manual in httpd-2.1 httpd-std.conf
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:24:39 GMT

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> I think this is not very desirable as you'll be unable to
> browse HTTPD manual if your server disabled mod_alias.  If I
> understand it correctly, mod_alias is only necessary for
> lanuange links to work.  So I'd like to suggest moving out
> type-map configuration out of IfModule.

One other point here.  If I remember correctly (I haven't actually done an
apache install in a little while), the manual directory does *require* the
alias, because it no longer lives under htdocs/.  This has some benefits,
including the ability to overwrite the manual when the user upgrades
without accidentally wiping out their own files, plus the ability to
restrict any extra configuration stuff to a place outside the docroot.

Joshua.