httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject <indent> is cheating
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:34:02 GMT
Just spent a few seconds trying to fix the rendering of <indent> in latex,
and I discovered that we are considering <indent> an inline (rather
than block level) element.  (For example, it is rendered as a <span>
rather than a <div> in html.)

I think this is cheating, since something that changes the margin must be
a block level element, in my opinion.  I'm guessing this was done because
there is a <br/> on the end of most of the <indent>s, and, if it was a
block level element, this would result in an extra space at the end.
Well, this is exactly what is happening in LaTeX.

I don't know of any way to change the margin at the line level in LaTeX.
There is a few things I can try, but I'm not very confident about it.  I
could make the transform eat the <br/> on the end, but that will be very
nasty.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention the issue in case anyone has a
suggestion.

Joshua.