httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: latex status
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:38:14 GMT

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, André Malo wrote:
> > - Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.
>
> some bytes can be saved, at least for latin1 documents if we'd use the PDF
> base 14 fonts (times, courier, helvetica, and the symbols things).

This can be accomplished simply by putting
\usepackage{times}
near the top of the latex file.

It shaves off around 400k in a quick test, and looks pretty good (although
it doesn't have a very nice small-caps font, which I am using to mark the
directive and module names).

As Astrid points out, the bad compression is a little strange.  But it
does not seem to be unique to pdflatex.  The old pdf files that I
generated with acrobat web-capture are over 3MB uncompressed and 1.4MB
compressed.  I have no idea why the pdf compression is so lousy.

But anyway, this certainly shouldn't be a priority compared to all the
other things wrong with the file ;-)

Joshua.