httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject don't distribute docs with source?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:18:00 GMT
Have we gotten to a point where the docs distribution should be
distributed separately from the source distribution?

Advantages:
- Less bandwidth used for cvs checkouts and downloads since people get
only what they want.
- People can choose the particular format that they want:
* pure xml
* multi-language html to be viewed through the server
* single-language html that can be viewed using just a browser
* chm
* pdf (?)
- Don't need to keep generated files in cvs, since docs experts can
generate docs releases.  (There is still a question about what to do for
the web checkout, since generating files directly onto the live website is
probably not a good idea.)

Disadvantages:
- May generate more bandwidth usage on httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
because people will be too lazy to download the docs.
- May encourage coders to ignore the docs.
- May be more complicated for end users.

I don't have a very strong opinion on this, but we should probably think
about it, since it would solve several of the problems we have been
discussing.  Of course, any final decision would need to be discussed with
dev@httpd as well.

Joshua.