httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Lloyd Africa" <lafr...@telepassport.co.za>
Subject ...
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:13:41 GMT

Thanks for replying!

I'll follow all your instructions starting tomorrow night!
I'll be in touch as regards MORE and MORE and MORE questions!

thanks for YOUR time!

Ciao ofr NOW
Lloyd

-----Original Message-----
From: André Malo [mailto:nd@perlig.de]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 1:27 PM
To: docs@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: document translation...

* Lloyd Africa wrote:

> I'd like to offer some help with the documentation,web-site or any other
> resources material
> available to read regarding apache-httpd to translate in into;
>
> 1.Afrikaans (South Africa and Namibia)
> 2.Flemmish (Belgium)
>
> Please Advise me on who I need to speak to and how I can help!

That is cool! This is the right place for such efforts ;-)

A basic entry point for docs contributions containing some (little outdated)
documents about general rules is <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/>.
The most interesting thing to translate is the httpd-documentation 2.0/2.1
(see <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/> or -2.0) and the localized error
messages, which are distributed with the httpd.
These docs are written in XML (our own format) and transformed to different
end-user formats such as HTML, PDF, CHM (MS Help) and other with the help of
some build tools.

All documents are hold in a CVS repository, so you'd need a CVS client and
check out the fun. (docs and transformation tools).

Contributing new documents is simple, you just copy the original English
document and remember the English CVS revision number (to track changes
after the first translation), translate and send the new XML document here
attached to a mail.

The error messages are not in XML rather than written into 2.0 style
mod_negotiation type-maps. Perhaps you want to start with them to get a
first feeling about how the things are handled here.

There is just one requirement: All translations have to be reviewed and
acknowledged by a native speaker of the particular language. Discussions
about the translations itself may or may not be placed here on the list,
that decision is left to the translators and reviewers themselves.

This mail is only a short summary, so if you have any questions about the
process, the technique or whatever (I bet you do), please ask.

nd
--
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else
use it, and get a new one every six months.  -- Clifford Stoll

                                    (found in ssl_engine_pphrase.c)

---