httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject Re: when to add to mime.types
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:02:15 GMT
Astrid Ke├čler <kess@kess-net.de> writes:

>> As I say there, I don't have any problem with making an exception to our
>> policy, or even removing the policy entirely.  But the policy does keep us
>> from getting a flood of "please add our type" messages.  (We already get a
>> substantial number.)
>
>> Opinions?
>
> Our policy is really ok. It is not too difficult to add additional types
> to the configuration (whereever they want). It seems a lot of people are
> thinking, it is a bug if they have to configure their server.
> <exaggerated>And we would not need AddType if we put all and everything
> to the default mime.types.</exaggerated>

+1.  I don't want to see our config file cluttered with lots
of 'x-' types.  If it is very popular, it should be
registered as non 'x-' types.  We don't have problem with
accepting those official types.  If we accept one 'x-' type,
it would become harder to reject other private types.  It
will eventually lead to conflicts of private types.  I don't
think we should spend time discussing which private types to
keep in our config.  Don't accpet any private MIME type is
really a good policy, I believe.

Just my 2 yen.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi