httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: don't distribute docs with source?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:25:53 GMT
--On Tuesday, June 3, 2003 10:52 PM +0200 Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:

> Some of your concerns could probably be solved by moving the docs out of
> httpd-2.0 in cvs, like src and docs are seperate in 1.3.

As an advisory, I'd be *really* against separating them out like 1.3.  I've
been really aggravated by that separation.  Yes, the 2.x docs and source now
have two separate build systems, but I honestly don't think it is a big deal
for developers - it enforces that the docs and code represent the 'same'
version.

As a question, how would we deal with the branches to represent
stable/unstable if we have separate source repositories for the doc and
source?  By keeping them in the same repository, it's trivial.

I'd also say that separating out the docs into language packs doesn't seem
right either as there should only be one release tarball.  Having to sign and
produce 20 or 30 'releases' (even if some are merely snapshots of the docs)
would be confusing to both users and the poor RMs.  -- justin