httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: don't distribute docs with source?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:16:15 GMT
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:25:53PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> As an advisory, I'd be *really* against separating them out like 1.3.  I've
> been really aggravated by that separation.  Yes, the 2.x docs and source
> now have two separate build systems, but I honestly don't think it is a big
> deal for developers - it enforces that the docs and code represent the
> 'same' version.

Agreed. But if bandwidth is a major issue, this is one way to use a bit
less.

> As a question, how would we deal with the branches to represent
> stable/unstable if we have separate source repositories for the doc and
> source?  By keeping them in the same repository, it's trivial.

Yes, it is doable with a split, but certainly simpler to keep the docs
where they are.

> I'd also say that separating out the docs into language packs doesn't seem
> right either as there should only be one release tarball.  Having to sign
> and produce 20 or 30 'releases' (even if some are merely snapshots of the
> docs) would be confusing to both users and the poor RMs.  -- justin

Yeah, that would be a pain. A less radical approach could be to have the
base version with english only and then an optional language pack containing
all others.
Personally I like what we have now. Being able to read the docs without
a running Apache would be a plus, but that's about the only thing I'd
want to change.

vh

Mads Toftum