httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Keßler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: Beginnings of a standards document
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:44:37 GMT
>> I've begun taking on the task of documenting all the drafts/standards that
>> Apache adheres to, as per the STATUS file and PR 16938.
>>
>> Before I march on too much more, I'd like some feedback on roughly how it's
>> looking and whatnot.  Content isn't complete, nor is accuracy at this
>> point.
>>
>> http://icarus.apache.org/~jsl/httpd-2.0/manual/relevant_standards.html.en

[...]

> For your doc, I'd tend to try to avoid tables.  In general, we use tables
> as little as possible in the docs, and we use them only for truly tabular
> data.  In this doc, I'd probably lean towards using a <dl> or something of
> the sort instead of a table.

I'd also suggest a list rather then tables. Maybe something like:

RFC2616 Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
    The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application-level protocol
    for distributed, collaborative, hypermedia information systems.

> The other question is does this belong in the manual, or should it be
> maintained on the website alone, as it has been in the past:
> http://httpd.apache.org/library/

> I don't have a strong opinion about that.  In either case, an update is
> much needed.

I have been slighty thinking of an idea to collect all httpd
corresponding documentation together to some books like
- short introduction for beginners
- users manual
- technical documentation
- introduction for developers
- ...

All books together present the httpd documentation.
Banking on this idea, the standards list would fit into technical
documentation. So I think, yes, it belongs to the docs like other stuff
outside the manual.

But since my idea is a long term prozess and may result into some
restructuring of our pages, I'm not sure, where to put it now.

Hm, just a thought ...

Kess

> Joshua.

Viele Grüße