httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: stuck with PDF creation
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 14:41:52 GMT
* Jacek Prucia wrote:

>> Although I don't think it was me who originally suggested this, I do have
>> considerable experience with latex.  It produces great-looking results,
>> but is a little bit of a bear to configure and use correctly.  (Packages
>> like MikTeX make this a little easier.)
>
> Which reminds me, there are different TeX/LaTeX distributions out there. We
> schould make a doc about what set of packages we require for successful build.
> Or as an option we could stick to some distro (like TeX Live or something).

I think, it will be similar to the CHM creation. The source files will be
autogenerated. The "compiler" must be installed. To achieve the same results
on different systems, we probably should put the fonts and other special
files (hyph-patterns?) into CVS (build-tools).

>> The other thing that would
>> concern me is the multi-lingual issue.  I have no experience in using
>> latex with languages other than english.  I know it handles latin-based
>> languages well, but I have no idea about others.
>
> Basically it boils down to 2 things:
>
> 1. You make sure TeX/Latex understands your encoding, typically with:
>
> \usepackage[X]{inputenc}
>
> where X is a proper option (e.g I use option 'LATIN2' for inputenc). You might
> want to use:
>
> \usepackage[X]{fontenc}
>
> with some magic option, if LaTeX/TeX won't complain about character encodings,
> but PDF output seems to be scrambled.

I'm sure we can solve that problem. (Effectively, CHM creation and even PDF
via fop suffers from similar problems).

> 2. You make sure that hyphenation for your language is selected. You do
> this by hand (HYPHEN -> pdftex in texconfig), or by using special package that
> does this for you at runtime. For example polish package for LaTeX does this,
> not sure about other languages
>
> Side Note:
>
> Unless there's a TeX/LaTeX guru among us (I believe such a man is called
> TeXpert), we schould find one (local TUG might be a good source), and ask for
> help. For most people some things work out of the box, and because of that
> they don't mess much with software internals. We just might have to...

That is not the worst idea. Although I think, we should look first in our
circles here :)

We would need at first someone, who can dissect the DTDs (or sample xml
files) and make an outline, how this can be written in (La)Tex. Once we have
this, xslt for autogeneration is easily written and we get a base to work on
and develop further (fonts, encodings etc.). Though I'm not able to create
such samples (currently ;-), I can imagine that it's not so difficult (looks
like latex provides similar semantics).

nd
--
my @japh = (sub{q~Just~},sub{q~Another~},sub{q~Perl~},sub{q~Hacker~});
my $japh = q[sub japh { }]; print join       #########################