httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: CHM files 2.0.46
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 00:52:31 GMT

On Thu, 22 May 2003, André Malo wrote:

> No further changes are expected, so I've built CHM files from the PRE2 tag.
> These are available for review here: <http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/chm/>.

+1

Personally, I'm not too concerned with matching docs releases exactly to
code releases.  People can easily use later docs releases with earlier
versions of 2.0, as long as they pay attention to the "compatibility"
notes.  So I'd say we just release these whenever we feel like it (but
include the most recent version number to give some idea of time-frame).

> However, I'm not sure, whether it makes sense to extend
> httpd.apache.org/download.cgi to contain a direct link to the
> dist/httpd/docs directory. Any opinions?

I'd lean towards no for two reasons:

1. The download.cgi page should have as few links as possible.  The more
links, the more confusing for users.

2. We don't want to give the impression that if you want docs, you need to
download them separately.  The docs are included with the source (at least
for now; we may want to change that at some point).  I would support
putting a link on the main manual index page
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
to the mirror listing
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/httpd/docs/

Joshua