httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Jacek Prucia <jacek.pru...@acn.waw.pl>
Subject Re: stuck with PDF creation
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 22:07:58 GMT
On Thu, 8 May 2003 21:00:36 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

[...]
> Although I don't think it was me who originally suggested this, I do have
> considerable experience with latex.  It produces great-looking results,
> but is a little bit of a bear to configure and use correctly.  (Packages
> like MikTeX make this a little easier.)

Which reminds me, there are different TeX/LaTeX distributions out there. We
schould make a doc about what set of packages we require for successful build.
Or as an option we could stick to some distro (like TeX Live or something).

> The overall idea is very similar to html or docbook, but there are some
> substantial differences that could make transformation complicated.  In
> particular, tables are really nasty in latex.

...and powerful :)

> The other thing that would
> concern me is the multi-lingual issue.  I have no experience in using
> latex with languages other than english.  I know it handles latin-based
> languages well, but I have no idea about others.

Basically it boils down to 2 things:

1. You make sure TeX/Latex understands your encoding, typically with:

\usepackage[X]{inputenc}

where X is a proper option (e.g I use option 'LATIN2' for inputenc). You might
want to use:

\usepackage[X]{fontenc}

with some magic option, if LaTeX/TeX won't complain about character encodings,
but PDF output seems to be scrambled.

2. You make sure that hyphenation for your language is selected. You do
this by hand (HYPHEN -> pdftex in texconfig), or by using special package that
does this for you at runtime. For example polish package for LaTeX does this,
not sure about other languages

Side Note:

Unless there's a TeX/LaTeX guru among us (I believe such a man is called
TeXpert), we schould find one (local TUG might be a good source), and ask for
help. For most people some things work out of the box, and because of that
they don't mess much with software internals. We just might have to...

regards,
Jacek Prucia