httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Credentials under which Apache serves requests
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:35:01 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Check out the subject line: it's both grammatically twisted and
> just plain unintelligible.
>
> Here is the problem: in my work on mod_dav docs, I need to express the
> concept of things that Apache controls using the User and Group specified
> in httpd.conf (like the dav lock database and the dav repository).  I
> decided to be very explicit and refer to User and Group so that users
> would know exactly where to look to find the correct permissions.  But
> User and Group are actually mpm dependent.  All unix mpms currently use
> them, but they may not in the future.  Windows and netware mpms do not use
> them.  On windows we have "the user designated to run the apache service"
> or some such thing.
>
> So the question is, how do we refer to such things in a way that is
> specific and direct, but general enough to cover all apache users.
>
> One possibility is to develop some specific terminology to cover this
> user, define it, and use it consistently.  The disadvantage to this
> approach is that it adds an extra level of abstraction that must be
> navigated by users.  The subject line is one example, but I hate it.  Any
> other ideas?

Hmm. What about such terms (chosen by context) like "httpd system user",
"httpd system permissions"? I'm also not sure about these, but I agree, that
the "Credentials" thing is not the best solution (and furthermore hard to
translate, at least to German ;-)

nd
--
s;.*;aaaaaoaaaoaaaaooooaaoaaaomaaaa:a:alataa:aaoat:a:a:a
maoaa:a:laoata:a:oia:a:o:a:m:a:o:alaoooat:aaool:aaoaa