httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: search index for httpd.apache.org
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:57:38 GMT
* Erik Abele wrote:

> The essence of all that I know about the current setup was in my last
> mail, so I don't think I'll be of any further help with this :) just
> aimed to point you in the right direction...

yes. Next time I'll point such requests there :)

>> If it's not good solvable for now, we should switch the docs search to use
>> google ...
>
> I like that idea. Much better than the current results. Ideally we could
> even create a nice webservice working together with Googles API
> (http://www.google.com/apis/). It shouldn't be too hard (hello ws guys!)
> and the terms should allow us to use it (free for non-commercial use).

Yes, I've considered it. But it's limited to 1000 requests per day per
license key. No further concessions. (Just have a look at their FAQs)

>  > and may start developing our own search engine. I'd enter such a
>> project immediately! ;-)
>
> hehe, Andrew C. Oliver recently proposed SuperXMailer (an
> email-harvester) for Jakarta via the incubator. Perhaps this is a good
> start, André :->

bah, project names that contain "super" and "x" usually immediately fall
off my radar :) (boohoo, no offense intended ...)

* Joshua Slive wrote:

> The only thing that has stopped me from doing this in the past is the
> advertising on google.  I have wanted to try to contact someone there
> about turning that off for us (the equivalent of "university search" which
> they do no charge; advertising free).  But I've never gotten around to it.

If you could try it, would be cool.

> But I can live with the advertising if it means decent search results.
>
> (One other thing: I'm not sure how good they are with sub-site searches;
> ie, search only under /docs-2.0/.  I guess a little expirimenting will be
> necessary.)

I'm currently dissecting their advanced search page to build our hidden
fields properly (assuming these fields won't change quite often in future).
A path thing is not there, but we could put a "hint word" like "Apache 2"
or someting into one of the fields.

nd
--
s  s^saaaaaoaaaoaaaaooooaaoaaaomaaaa  a  alataa  aaoat  a  a
a maoaa a laoata  a  oia a o  a m a  o  alaoooat aaool aaoaa