httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: New index page layout (suggestion)
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:11:37 GMT

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:

> As the subject tells, this is a suggestion for a new index page. My
> intention for the new documentation start page was, to make it easier to
> find revelvant documents and to make all documentation pages available
> directly from the start page or a second index page.

Thanks for the interesting proposal Astrid.  I completely agree that the
organization of docs could use improvement.  It is based too much on
history and not enough on the needs of users.  I could (and probably will)
argue about your specific choice of categories and the placements within
them, but the idea is sound.

I'm more concerned about the idea of reducing the number of docs linked
from the first page.  I like that fact that, at the moment, essentially
every important doc is linked directly from the front page.  Putting even
one more level into that will make it much harder for people to get a good
overview of the docs.

Joshua.