httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject "About the Documentation" (primarily: prerequisites)
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:31:00 GMT
Here is an idea for a document to go in the release notes section of the
manual.

What do you think?  Is it asking to much to insist people know what an
"HTTP status code" is before they read the docs?  What would be a better
example?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
<!DOCTYPE manualpage SYSTEM "./style/manualpage.dtd">
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="./style/manual.en.xsl"?>
<manualpage metafile="about.xml.meta">

<title>About the Documentation</title>

<summary>
  the assumptions behind it, and provides some links to useful
  supplementary material.</p>
</summary>

<section id="assumptions">
<title>Assumptions</title>

of user. As documentation authors, we do our best to achieve the
appropriate balance between the needs of advanced and novice users.
But we do assume that our readers have an adequate background in order
to understand the material.</p>

<ul>

<li>Are familiar with administering their chosen operating system.
This includes manipulation of files and processes, as well as network
configuration.</li>

<li>Have a basic understanding of the technologies of the web, and
HTTP in particular.  This includes, for example, understanding what is
an HTTP status code and an HTTP response header.</li>

</ul>
</section>

<section id="novice">
<title>Tips for Novice Users</title>

Here are some suggestions on how to get up-to-speed.</p>

<ul>

defines
many of the terms we use.</li>

contains some introductory-level guides to certain Apache features.</li>

<li>Many good <a
href="http://httpd.apache.org/info/apache_books.html">books</a> are
available documenting the Apache HTTP Server.  Most of these books
provide more background information, and are therefore better suited
to novice users than the official documentation.</li>

<li>We provide a <a href="http://httpd.apache.org/library/">project
library</a> with background information on many of the technologies
used in Apache.</li>

where you can get guidance from more experienced users.</li>

</ul>

</section>

<section id="format">
<title>Documentation Format</title>