httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Credentials under which Apache serves requests
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:54:18 GMT
Check out the subject line: it's both grammatically twisted and
just plain unintelligible.

Here is the problem: in my work on mod_dav docs, I need to express the
concept of things that Apache controls using the User and Group specified
in httpd.conf (like the dav lock database and the dav repository).  I
decided to be very explicit and refer to User and Group so that users
would know exactly where to look to find the correct permissions.  But
User and Group are actually mpm dependent.  All unix mpms currently use
them, but they may not in the future.  Windows and netware mpms do not use
them.  On windows we have "the user designated to run the apache service"
or some such thing.

So the question is, how do we refer to such things in a way that is
specific and direct, but general enough to cover all apache users.

One possibility is to develop some specific terminology to cover this
user, define it, and use it consistently.  The disadvantage to this
approach is that it adds an extra level of abstraction that must be
navigated by users.  The subject line is one example, but I hate it.  Any
other ideas?

Joshua.