httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: search index for httpd.apache.org
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:32:11 GMT

[Infrastructure removed.]

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, André Malo wrote:

> Monday, April 7, 2003, 9:26:53 PM, Joshua wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, André Malo wrote:
> >> If it's not good solvable for now, we should switch the docs search to use
> >> google
>
> > +1
>
> > Even if the apache search engine is working, it has never been very
> > useful.  Google gives way better results.
>
> Hmm, sounds reasonable anyway. I think, any further discussion can be
> placed on the docs@httpd list ...

The only thing that has stopped me from doing this in the past is the
advertising on google.  I have wanted to try to contact someone there
about turning that off for us (the equivalent of "university search" which
they do no charge; advertising free).  But I've never gotten around to it.

But I can live with the advertising if it means decent search results.

(One other thing: I'm not sure how good they are with sub-site searches;
ie, search only under /docs-2.0/.  I guess a little expirimenting will be
necessary.)

Joshua.