httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: any written guidelines on dealing with 2.0/2.1 doc issues?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:38:58 GMT

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> I just added a new log format to mod_log_config in the development
> branch and updated the doc in the development branch to mention it.
>
> Should the doc mention that the feature is new with 2.2 and then put the
> minor doc change in both branches to keep the doc the same as much as
> possible?
>
> (If the feature is subsequently merged into the stable branch, then both
> references would be changed to 2.0.??.)

No written policy that I know of.

My idea: All user-visable changes should note when they were introduced.
There are many people who use current docs with very old apache versions,
and these people will be lost without proper version info.

With regard to 2.0/2.2: this is a little bit of a sticky issue.  I don't
see any need to have the docs the same when the features differ.  I guess
the only proper way to do it is to say "This feature is available in 2.1
and later" in the 2.1 docs.  But then you will need to adjust both sets of
docs if you backport the change.  Ugly.

Joshua.